Thursday, August 21, 2008

Deep Thoughts Concerning Fantasy Football & D&D

Since its creation, Dungeons & Dragons has always sort of been perceived as something that has to be contained within its own little niche of acne-ridden, socially awkward guys playing in their parents' basement. Meanwhile, as it deals with the toughest and smash-mouthyest of all sports, fantasy football has always been a perfectly acceptable "everyman" activity. A bunch of guys sitting around drinking beer glued to ESPN News to see if the running back on their bench has been upgraded from Questionable to Probable yet doesn't really seem out of place at all. A fantasy football pool is almost a requisite for any guy with an office job to better bond with his fellow co-workers, whereas the idea of an inter-office D&D session is a preposterous notion.

I've actually dabbled in both D&D and fantasy football, and I think I'm in a tiny minority in that, for the most part, I enjoy doing both. Last night I stayed after work along with the 9 other guys in our office league for our live fantasy draft. I'm not sure exactly when it hit me. Perhaps it was upon the commissioner firing up the $30 draft software on his laptop--complete with a countdown clock for each pick--and projecting it on the screen in the meeting room we were in, or perhaps it was when I was watching a guy frantically switch between his complete 32-team depth chart sheet and his stat projections sheet, but at some point I realized that, once you reach a certain level of devotion, D&D players and fantasy football players are really pretty much indistinguishable. The only difference is that fantasy football is inherently tied to football. Never mind the fact that no actual football gets played amongst the participants.

I think I'm kicked out of the Man-law Council now, or whatever it was called in those Bud Light commercials with Burt Reynolds and HHH.

---------------------------------

Also, apparently in recent weeks Michael Goldfarb, a McCain campaign surrogate, has been making references to the "pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd" for reasons unbeknown to me. Since when is the die-hard D&D player demographic like a key part of Obama's constituency?

No comments: