Sunday, May 30, 2010

Why Save the World When You Can Breed Chocobos

Final Fantasy VII Playthrough
Playtime 28:56-36:41


I played through the Midgar sequence ending in the boss fight with Hojo, thus ending disc 2, and of course declined to go right into saving the world in favor of doing more sidequests. Obviously, the nature of video games is such that suspension of disbelief is much more difficult than with movies, but there's something particularly amusing about the idea of flying your airship to the edge of a big hole in the earth that you're going to have to descend to the bottom of within a week in order to save the earth, only to decide to up and fly away to instead race some chocobos at an amusement park. I do, of course, appreciate that there's a lot more to do above and beyond the main storyline, although one thing I will say is that there's not really enough new areas where you can just level up and get more GP (chocobo breeding is expensive) without it being complete mind-numbing tedium. Once you kill Ultimate Weapon--which is one of the last things I did before writing this--you can access the Ancient Forest which helps, but other than that you pretty much have to go to the Sunken Gelnika or otherwise retread areas you've already visited as part of the main story, unless I'm really forgetting something.

I've made a couple of attempts at going for Omnislash and/or W-Summon at the Battle Arena, which is genuinely challenging. The most expensive thing I was able to commandeer was the "Stardust" at 8,000 BP, which if I was online at the time I wouldn't have bought because it's just a one use item that casts Comet 2. Somewhat confoundingly, it's more expensive than Speed Source Materia at 4,000, and Preemptive Materia at 1,000. I did get the Speed Shoes for winning 8 battles at least once, which are kind of awesome in and of themselves (automatic haste). To win all 8 battles with any sort of consistency, you're pretty much required to be at a high level with excellent materia, and even still you need a lot of luck. Going into it with a Ribbon can help tremendously, but of course one of the penalties is "accessory broken," which I got after the first round on more than one occasion. One of the possible 2nd round fight is a group of five little insect creatures which can all put you in berserk, so if your Ribbon is broken after the first fight, that pretty much screws you right there, unless you're overpowered enough to be able to muscle through the next 7 fights without ever having to heal. One of the possible first round fights is also a group with two little caterpillar enemies, who will always use Silk on you on their first turn, which slows you down and which your Ribbon doesn't protect against. Having a leveled-up Counter Attack helps, so does sticking an Added Effect-Hades pair on your weapon, as very few of the Battle Square enemies seem to be immune to much. Materia equipped Really, to get through all 8 battles, at least at level 58 which is where I have Cloud at, you need a pretty perfect confluence of events to happen. I suppose having First Attack materia would mitigate against some of this, but I don't have that at the moment, nor do I remember off hand how you get it. May have to check a FAQ after this.

I've been doing some chocobo breeding as well. Right now I have two that can win in the ultra prestigious Class C--where you can win such fabulous prizes as Potions--but that's it. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother getting a gold chocobo. I don't even remember all the details of how to get one, except that you have to steal the nut to breed one from the goblins on one of the isolated islands on the map. Gonna play that one by ear.

No comments: